Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

second HDU7 SCSI 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdman1

Technical User
May 30, 2005
SE
Hi i hope some one can help me with this i have an MD110 BC11 up running with an HDU7 scsi connected to my NIU i also have a spare HDU7 with files on it (used as start disk but i have forgotten the password on it not MDUSER/HELP) now i wish to connect it and mount it as second drive without losing the files on it to be able to grab whats on disk with ftp and then be able to wipe it clean so i can reuse it as backup disk in my system up and running the issue is that i dont want to lose files on the disk so i am seeking advice on how to safe connect and regain file acess

Thanks Lasse

Hi,
There is one way to print out the data - at least it works with BC12 and up. The procedure is quite long, but you can try this:
Prerequisities: The NIU position has to be same for both systems.
1) Make sure your system with MDUSER/HELP (or whatever you have there) is healthy, both RELs
2) Disconnect the NIU and HDU (no commands needed)
3) Insert the other HDU and connect the NIU back. Do not enter any commands. Wait for the NIU to recover.
4) Connect yourself to the system with MDUSER/HELP (or whatever is your psw)
5) Then LADAI; Here you'll get FAILED for this and that - no worries, the system does not like you just now...
6) When all kind of restarts and reloads are done, print out the data - should be from the second HDU
7) When/if done, return the original HDU back.
DO NOT DUMP DURING THIS PROCEDURE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To recover the password is another task, not on this forum....

Try this and let me know
fcpli

I am pretty sure that if you have a powered backplane you can plug the NIU and HDU in and then log into the NIU using the niux interface i.e the system does not have to be running. This way the username/password becomes the default of the NIU.
Ftp can be used to recover the files and then you can reformat the drive from niux too, or connect to your running system to reformat.

Seems like we overstepped the mark here.

Glad I was able to help you out with your issue mdman1[smile] but sad that I lost the star you awarded my post[sad]
Take care.

himdp

himdp,
No worries, your star is there (you deserve it from me).

fcpli

Thanks fcpli I am glad you found it interesting. I try and be helpful and spread the knowledge, but it is difficult to know when some arbitary third party might think that you have said too much. Naughty me.[wink]

Once again hughe thanks to fcpli and himdp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back