Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second HD not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzzo

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
Hi

I have a strange problem with my second hard drive D.
Yesterday I had no problem accessing the data on the
D. Today I can`t access the data and a error message
indicates that the drive isn`t formatted. I am wondering
if anyone has a answer to this problem. I use scan disk
and also a software app Daemon-Tools. I`m wondering
if one or both of these apps could be casing a problem.

Thanks

Operating system? Filestore type? Have you actually done anything (like change hardware/software? - what does Daemon Tools do? Have you run that since it worked).

If its fat32, can you access the drive booting from 98 boot floppy?

Operating system? Filestore type? Have you actually done anything (like change hardware/software? - what does Daemon Tools do? Have you run that since it worked).
iso files. I deleted the program as a test. The deletion
didn`t have any affect.
I had this problem becfore and fooled around with jumper
settings and the problem went away. I haven`t touched the
jumpers since but the problem has reappeared.
I also tested the drive with Maxtor HD utility. The software recognized the drive. I`m still uncertain what
the cause of the problem is.

The reason probably is that at bootup windows don't mount the drive .Why ?

//Regards Soaplover

Some suggestions:-

1. Disconnect slave & boot with just master. Disconnect both drives. Check jumpers for both drives are correct (eg, that if master has 2 master settings, one with, one without slave, correct one is set. Check IDE cable is intact & firmly connected when you reconnect. Reconnect both drives, and see if XP sees filestore now (is it a primary or extended partition)?

2. You could you a tool that can read ntfs to see if disk data is ok (eg, ntfsdos from or
3. Could try putting slave on other IDE channel as master (swap CD/DVD around or temporarily disconnect).

Hi

This is amazing. The problem cured itself. I didn`t
do anything that I`m aware of to resolve the problem.

Thanks for the help

You had better back up the data on the drive that you could not access, sounds like the drive is going out.

except that my error is fat32 not nfts although I found an extra 2gb on my primary drive somehow? I tried doing all the hardware stuffages changing around booted and I coudl access everything fine in dos I really don't want to reformat because of all the tuning I've done which could be the issue . Windows xp autmatically perofrms a scandisk intellegently I it doens't check f: but it does check c:

the next thing I am going to try is reasigning and rebooting rather then just reasigning and see if it is some code that is exclusive to f: other then that I'm not sure what to do other then reinstall the os cause I'm pretty certain it is the os.. oddly there was a harddrive failure of another hd in the house around the same time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back