Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second hand books for Visual Foxpro 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

german12

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
DE
Where can I buy used books (second hand) on the subject of Visual Foxpro?
I found this address on the internet

Link

and have already bought some "oldies" - that were sellers in UK and USA
Do you know other resources?
Hardly any can be found in Germany.
Thanks for any info.
Klaus

Peace worldwide - it starts here...

Hello,

yes, hard to find as printed book, but still many available online as PDF.

I suggest to visit henzenwerke, they are not used (but available as pdf) , but very useful :

You can find others on amazon if you search for foxpro and select category "books",
for example or ebay : or see wiki :
if you have special questions there are hundreds of excellent whitepapers from Tamor Granor, Rick Strahl , Doug Hennig, Rick schummer, sergey berezniker, ...
and for the internals :
Regards
tom

In german I have (somewhere :)) in german :
Microsoft Press : Visual Foxpro 6.0 Programmierhandbuch (useful for Basics), auch bei Rebuy Update Handbuch 8.0 (dfpug)
Update Handbuch 9.0 (dfpug)

You may also contact dfpug :

Klaus, you already know about Abebooks. That would always be my first choice. If you can't find what you are looking for at you could always try (although I expect they will have many of the same titles).

Another option would be to look for the book on Amazon, and then look for a Gebraucht link just below the price. That will usually lead to one or more seller of a second-hand version. But they will usually be the same sellers as on Abebooks, which is after all owned by Amazon.

Quite a few Foxpro books are now available as e-books. hentzenwerke.com would be a good place to look for those. These are usually PDFs, or sometimes CHMs, not real e-books. But are still quite usable.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Keep in mind too that some older VFP books are available free of charge on Google Books. If you go to then search for, say, FoxPro, you should see a selection of titles, including many of the Hentzenwerke books.

Most of these seem to be in "preview" mode, which means that not all pages will be visible. But there will usually be enough to give you a lot of useful information.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Did you try eBay? Just do a search for VFP books there. You'll likely find something.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCAP, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Thank you all very much, Mike, Tom and Scott for your valuable advice.

I haven't followed all of the traces yet, but I can see there is still a lot of VFP material available.

Unfortunately, a few years ago I lost a lot of VFP literature due to water damage in my house.

But ABE-books has very moderate prices for these oldies that I have now ordered:

Title: Object Orientation in Visual FoxPro
Author: Savannah Brentnall

Title: Microsoft Visual Foxpro Programmer's Guide 6.0
Author: Microsoft Corporation

Title: 1001 Things You Wanted to Know About Visual FoxPro
Author: Marcia Akins, Andy Kramek, Rick Schummer

Title: Advanced Object Oriented Programming with Visual FoxPro 6.0
Author: Egger, Markus

Title: Internet Applications with Visual FoxPro 6.0
Author: Ray, Rick

Title: Deploying Visual Foxpro Solutions
Author: Schummer, Rick, Adams, Jacci, Borup, Rick

Title: Visual FoxPro 6 Enterprise Development
Author: Paddock, Rod, Talmage, Ron, Petersen, John

Title: Effective Techniques for Application Development with Visual FoxPro
Author: Sawyer, Steve, Booth, Jim

Title: Hacker's Guide to Visual FoxPro 7.0
Author: Roche, Ted, Granor, Tamar E., Martin, Della, Hennig, Doug
(for only 6 euros - I wanted to have it on paper)

It will still be a problem to get digital e-books,
so that you don't have to write down program snippets before trying them out.
This would be possible with an OCR program, but it would be very time-consuming.

Again - many thanks for your help.

Klaus

Klaus, be aware the HackFox 7 does NOT include the reference section in print. If you want a hard-copy of that part, you need the VFP 6 version.

Tamar

In the meantime I have received all the used books - mentioned above.
Then on the back of the books it says:
Download the extra from our website (Hentzenwerke) and
that will include all sample databases and code.
I tried - I also sent the front page of the book to Hentzenwerke as proof - but there was no answer.
That is very uncomfortable for me, because now I would have to manually enter all the codes that I wanted to try out.
How do I get these add-ons?
If I buy the books as NEW now AGAIN (I doubt whether that is even possible (they are around 20 years old) - then buying the used books would have been useless money.
I don't even know whether the Hentzenwerke still exist.

Does anyone have any advice?

thank you
Klaus

Whil can be slow to respond to stuff like this. It's just him and there's not much income from books these days. I'd give it at least a few days, maybe even a week or two.

Tamar

Hello,

I think for downloading the source codes from the url mentioned by chris you do not need a password (tested with some books),
only for the PDF.

Regards
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back