Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second box for network minimal and cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonah

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
I want to build a second box to network with my old PIII 733 box. Put all the graphics and scanners on new second box, keep Office and internet on old first box. So for the second box, I need case, power, MoBo, processor, HD x 2, CD burner, fans. Do I have to have a second Vid card? Can I just leave my old Matrox vid in the old first box? I would do a reformat and reinstall of W2K Pro on first box, then XP Pro on new second box. All sound ok?? thanks!

That sounds like you have a good plan. Do you have all the parts you need?? I have a lot of extra parts. If you need any thing e-mail me at sleepsalot@gmail.com

Wayne

Right now all I have is the XP Pro. The summer sales should kick in soon. I want to go sort of cheap....beige case and all. My main concern is do I need a second vid card? My old Matrox won't go into a current MoBo from what I understand. I would even go AMD processor, 1 or 2 gig of RAM in new box.

You should go with a new video card if you are going with a new M/B I'm not sure where you are but tiger direct has some real good deals on bare bones kits. They have a web site.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back