Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seasonal screensavers

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmazco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2008
US
I spose this is a good a place as any to get info on screensavers. Im looking for some good holiday ones, particularly Halloween, Thanksgiving and X-Mas.
Whats everyone using?
Free is good, but if there are some that are good and cost a few bucks thats fine too.

Be VERY carefull if you are thinking of downloading screen savers, they are an ideal mechanism for hiding malware, spyware, virus etc.

Totally agree with Captains reply, .scr files are one of THE most common ways of spreading malware.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I agree with the above. You should (must?) stick with reputable companies. Look at ZDNet or CNet. Both test the software before putting them online.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

If you want to be very safe & get beautiful pics you can use as screen savers, go to and join Webshots. I have used them for many years & they are safe.
xit

thanx for caring all, but alas Im well aware of the 'dangers'. Just wanted to see what others are using.

Just wanted to see what others are using.
None... not even the ones build in...

they may look good, but unless you have a CRT Monitor, they are no longer needed...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

[quote}
they are no longer needed
[/quote]

True but there are those who simply want to display their (or others) pictures as screen savers and I believe there are ways to safely do that.

sam

Sorry BBB I didn't mean to imply you did.
I was actually agreeing with you and stating that I thought it's OK to use savers as well.

sam

Sam,

no harm done...

Ben

So aaaaanyway ...

If I can take the liberty of re-phrasing Rob's original question:

"I'm after some screen-savers with a seasonal theme (Christmas, Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving etc.) but I know that most of the ones you can find on-line are riddled with malware. I also know that you don't need a screen-saver with modern displays but I'd still like one. I don't mind paying for them but I want ones that people know are clean and safe. Can anybody recommend any?"

I think the answer seems to be "no"!

I could recommend some really good abstract ones (reallyslick.com) but not seasonal ones, sorry.

Regards

Nelviticus

"None... not even the ones build in...
they may look good, but unless you have a CRT Monitor, they are no longer needed... "

I never thought so either. In our server room, we have 3 servers running. Over the past couple of years, we replaced the CRT monitors with LCD monitors one by one. We turned off the screen savers. They all have a static screen image. The first monitor replaced now has an image burned into it.

I believe I found some good seasonal type screen savers somewhere (I'll have to look). But I'll second the last post about LCD monitors being suseptible to burn-in. I know of an LCD TV like that where the network logo (you know the little thing in the corner on most shows now) was burned in. Evidently the owner kept it on one channel most of the time.

This may be of interest to those reading this thread. But yes, indeed, burn-in is a problem on LCD monitors:

----------
Measurement is not management.

burn-in is a problem on LCD monitors:
Not true... as the following is an excerpt from the article quoted... and is reversible...

While LCDs don't have the same burn-in problem that affected CRTs, the image persistence problem could come about.

and I must say that, I've never come across Image Persistence at all in my long years working in IT, this is maybe due to the ENERGY SAVER options that turn the screen off after a longer period of inactivity...

last note:

Now, about a server room with running monitors,

Turn off the monitor when the system is not in use
source: same article quoted by Glen9999

with that my original thoughts still stand...

Ben

:)
... well didnt I open a can o' worms, almost thought I was in squaring the circle for a minute.

Ill keep looking for said screensavers...If I find anything good Ill let everyone know.

I've seen "image persistence" on lcd screens too. Never had any luck "reversing" it either.

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Robmazco,
[tab]The links I provided above should take you to some seasonal screensavers.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back