Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching through Recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcooler

Programmer
Jun 13, 2009
Hello-

I have a need to look up the record number (auto-numbered primary key) of the earliest (and latest) record in my recordset. I've been stuck trying to use DMIN and DMAX, but I find it does not accomplish what I want.

As best I can tell, the field that it uses to search on is the only field returned. I want to search on the date field and THEN return the record number.

To accomplish this I had to use this really nasty code here, which works, but I've got to know there's a cleaner way. Any ideas?

Code:
EarliestEntry = DLookup("[Date_ID]", "tblTravelInfo", "[Expense_ID] = " & Forms!frmExpense.Form.txtExpense_ID & " AND ExpenseDate = #" & DMin("ExpenseDate", "tblTravelInfo", "[Expense_ID] = " & Forms!frmExpense.Form.txtExpense_ID) & "#")

Thanks!
Brian

I would attempt to use the faq701-4233 function with the expression (assumes Expense_ID is numeric):

Code:
EarliestEntry = Concatenate("SELECT TOP 1 Date_ID FROM tblTravelInfo WHERE Expense_ID = " & Forms!frmExpense.Form.txtExpense_ID & " ORDER BY ExpenseDate ")

You may need to add another unique field to the ORDER BY clause so you don't risk returning more than one record. Also, I think you can use Forms!frmExpense.txtExpense_ID rather than Forms!frmExpense.Form.txtExpense_ID.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back