Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching other databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC801340

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
GB
I am developing a database for a recruitment agency. They are getting in excess of 100 CV's a day. Many of these people have previously applied and been dealt with before.

When a CV comes in the candidates name is entered into a database. Is there a way to search another 3 databases to see if that candidate has previously been entered? If they have then there details will be in one of the 3 databases. I was thinking of something along the lines of a text box where their name is entered and then a command button which triggers a bit of code to do the searching.

Any help would be great!

Create a database with all linked tables to the other 3 databases as required for data retrieval. Then create 3 queries which would be fairly similar if not identical that use the same criteria coming from a form text box and return the results either with a union query or through a form/report holding each of the three results.

How many times are you going to be running this each day? As in my experience the linked tables can be slow in use.

Ian

well i suppose it will be run about 50 times a day....

If speed is an issue, have you considered making a "make table" query and running this at the start of each day. You can then run your other queries on your new temporary table. You can upate this table when required.#
:-9

Yes there may be a speed issue sometimes but it all depends in what database formats the other tables are in, their size, number of users and network bandwidth. All this said, linked tables show live data which may be more important in the situation you describe than make table queries.

Swings and roundabouts, choices and consequences.

I`d agree with SpencerTaylor on this. I just thought I`d metion the speed issue so you could bear it in mind. Assuming data is getting entered into the database throughout the day then you would want to have a live interlinked system even if it is a little slower.

If being live all day isn`t an issue then I`d personally go for the make table option at the start of each day, but remember to compact the database frequently to keep it`s size down.

Good luck which ever option you choose

Ian

The make table option at the start of each day is going to be the best....only one person is doing all the data input and they are able to remember the names of people they've done earlier in the day - it is just for the names which popped up years/months ago!

I'm still unsure about how exactly to do this though. I have created a new database with linked tables (from the other 3). Where do I go from here? Step by step would be great!

Many thanks!

Create a blank form and add a text box control to it. Give this a useful name. Save and close the form.

Create the first query specifying any appropriate criteria for yourself and make this a make table query.

Repeat this for each of the other tables but make these append queries adding to the table name you chose for the make table.

Create a query based on the table you have just created and get the criteria from the forms text box created earlier. Use the build icon to grab it's value (the wand with the three dots).

I would then either create a new form or report to show the results of this query.

Finally place a command button on the criteria form using the wizard to preview the report or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back