Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching on memo fields in crystal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftab45

Technical User
Mar 2, 2006
GB
Hello,

Is there a way to search for words in memo fields in crystal reports 9? The field in question cannot be selected in the record selection criteria.

Thanks in advance.

You can probably use a SQL Expression to either perform the search or cast the data type to something Crystal can use to accomplish this, post the data type and the database being used for further assistance.

-k

Thanks, synapsevampire. Much appreciated.

Aftab.

Dear Aftab45,

I don't have Crystal 9 but I do have 10, I believe however that they are similar.

I noticed that in some areas a memo field doesn't display in the list of available fields (however it does in Record Selection formula for 10 but not in the Select Expert list of fields - odd yes?).

Are you using the Select Expert to generate the formula? If so, go to Report/Selection Formulas/Record and put your formula in there.

Another thing to always try is manually typing the field name in (for example, in the SQL Expression Formula Editor memo fields don't display, but can be used by manually typing them in).

regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Thank you for your assistance Rosemary. I will try this out.

Hi Rosemary,

I was having a similar problem to Aftab's. The memo field from my Access database was truncating to 255 charcters in my Crystal report.

Reading your post gave me an idea. The SQL Expression you suggested did not work for me, but a SQL Command did!

Like you said in your post Rosemary, the 'memo' field does not appear in the SQL Command field list in the Database Expert area, but does show up in the Field Expert list. Go figure!

Anyway, the memo field from the SQL Command works just fine in the report (it does NOT truncate it). I wouldn't have got there with out your post.

Thanks!

- Tom

Dear Tom,

Glad to have helped.
regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Thank you rosemaryl and southbean for you advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back