Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching Old Log Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borvik

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
I'm attempting to use the "Tracking Log Explorer" to search a users sent items with "No Results".

The problem is the log appears to go back only a month.

My Logs folder "Mailbox\Mailbox Database" contains log files dating back to the month I want - the "Tracking Log Explorer" isn't apparently using them though.

How can I search back logs, from May or earlier if I need them?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are confusing database and transport logs. Transport logs are kept for 30 days by default and then wiped. Database logs are kept until you do a backup and are then purged. If you have db logs going back to May that is an issue in itself.

As to the transport logs you can use ems to change the time they are kept for but remember to change the max size of logs as well. I think the default is 250mb so exchange will keep 250mb or 30 days whichever is the smaller.
You could also just restore the old logs from backup to the transport logs folder and search should then pick up on them. Never actually tried it, we keep 90 days of logs and also use journaling but it should work.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back