Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for multiple words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny1

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
IE
I want to use the simple search in Sharepoint to find all documents containing more than one word

e.g John AND Kilkenny

If you type both words into the search you get documents containing either of the words.

Hello!

I do not think that the simple search in Sharepoint gives you that functionality (since it is a SIMPLE search). The advanced searchfunction i Portal Server gives you that option along with lots more sarch capabilities.

I would also like to be able to do the same, but I have not found any way to do it with the Simple search.

Regards,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

Although, the advanced search only allows you to set up AND/OR conditions on searches of Document Properties. Do you know if you can do these on document content?

Reggards

John

Hi John!

I'm not sure, but will do some investigating. You don't mean to be able to search for metadata entered, you want to search for actual words "inside" the documents?

/Thomas

Hi Thomas,

yes thats exactly what I mean

Thanks a million

John

Hi John,

I've done some testing now and the results are not what I wanted :) When doing a search with two words it still lists the documents with either of the words.

I have tried to find some documentation about this but it does not seem like it is such a feature in the search capabilities of WSS or SPS, but I am ofcourse not sure about this...now I know what I am going to do this weekend :)

Cheers,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back