Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for files with no extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandDUser

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
US
I am trying to do a text search on files at work with no extensions.

I am trying to find for example the text "5556666" in a flat ascii file with no extension. Windows search doesnt find it usually, but if I throw on a .txt extension, it does. My question is how can I search for text in files with no extension?

I have already tried searches with the file name as:
*.*
...and numerous other arrangements. Also, since I am at work, I cant download any other programs, so a third party search software is out. Also I should mention I did NOT have this problem in 2000, only in the companies new copy of XP.

Thanks for any help

RandDUser,
did you try using a .bat file?
something like:
Code:
@echo on
chdir c:\searchfolder
findstr /g:searchstr.txt /f:searchfile.txt > data.out
searchstr contains what you are looking for each on it's own line.
searchfile is the file(s) to look in.
regards,
longhair

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work

Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String

Navigate to and find this file and fix xp_persisthandler.vbs - Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files. It is reached via Win XP Fixes/ Win XP Search Problems/ Can't find files containing text.

Does Doug Knox count as third party software?

Windows search behaving very very strange regarding asp files and <%
thread779-954523

XP will only search for files that have a filter handler. Handlers are assigned by file extensions.

When you search for files that contain text by using the A word or phrase in the file search criterion, the search results may not contain files that contain the text that you specified.
For eample, .log, .dll, .js, .asp, .xml, .xsl, .hta, .css, .wsh, .cpp, .c, or .h files, or files with no file name extension, may not appear in the search results even if the files contain the text that you specified. This problem may occur even if you specified the file name or type in the All or part of the file name box.

...In Microsoft Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows, all files are searched for the content that you specify. Windows XP does not search all file to enhance the performance of searching and to avoid extraneous results.

For possible workarounds:
(Try Method #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back