Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for File existence on client side..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrkrReds

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi..

We have an application where a user types a file name with full path on any of our servers in our network or browses to it and selects it and this information(file name & file path) is saved in the database.

Currently, user browses or enters a valid file and path and our validation code still fails and displays file not found message. How do we do this on client side?

I hope i made my problem clear.

thanx in advance.

You will find it very difficult for JavaScript on the client side to locate a predetermined file. Attempts to do this compete with JavaScript's security restrictions.

Other client-side technologies may allow this.

You can however, ask the User on the client side to locate a file using the "file" type of input control. This guarantees that the file exists, or else they can't choose it!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back