Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for a string that contains brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alt255

Programmer
May 14, 1999
US
This is probably very simple, so it is really bugging me. Background information: I sell art prints on a website I created using the web-builder from GoDaddy. I made a page section with HTML, designed to allow the user to click colored rectangles, representing 24 color croups (e.g. Warm Yellow, Cool Green, Mid Magenta, etc.) and search the products for prints with the predominant complementary color group. The HTML isn't involved in retrieving or processing the color information from the online images-- that information was obtained offline using a program I wrote in Visual Basic. The color information appears with each print and my HTML code is only intended to look for strings containing an appropriate color value. Such as "...Warm Cyan, 1c{00FFD5}, 33%". "1c" indicates that this color group is the most common complementary group in the image (Warm Cyan is the opposite of Cool Red which has been clicked). 00FFD5 is the value I use to represent "Warm Cyan".
The problem is probably my ignorance of HTML. I thought I could just escape the brackets with "//":

HTML:
<h3><div style="background-color: #E04161 ; padding: 2px;">
<a href="[URL unfurl="true"]https://vorpalcom.com/shop/ols/search?keywords=&quot;1c//{00FFD5//}&quot;&sortOption=descend_by_match">[/URL]
Cool Red</a></div>

but that just ends the search string at "1c//". I have also tried replacing the brackets with &#123; and &#125; Which returns "1c".

My question, in a general way, is How can I create a search string to find 1c{00FFD5}? GoDaddy refuses to help because the question involves HTML (yeah, I hear that sucking sound, too.) Help is dearly appreciated.

Add water (makes its own sauce).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back