Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching equations in MS Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

philrock

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
I'm writing a paper on complex calculations of gear teeth. It is currently 39 pages long and will be about 60 pages long when finished. It has many Greek symbols and will have about 100 equations and a 75-line table when finished. About a dozen drawings will be included as .jpg pictures. So far I’ve been working in MS Word, which works, but is very slow going. A very important part of the job is checking that the math, text, tables, equations and pictures are correct and consistent with each other. This proves to be extremely difficult in MS Word - especially searching equations, which you can only search one at a time. It would be very helpful to have the ability to search the entire document, including equations, for text and symbols, all at the same time.

I submitted the above post on 20 Sep 22. A user named "macropod" responded with the only help that seemed plausible. I'm hoping he'll respond to this post - I'd actually like to engage his services on this project.
Alternatively, finding a way to contact him would be helpful.

The reason I've taken so long to get back to this issue is that I've had a number of medical issues that have required my time and attention.

Phil Rockwell

Not an answer to your VBA question, but...
Since you may be an expert "on complex calculations of gear teeth" by now, you may find this interesting/informative: Woodgears.ca

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

By "searching equations". do you mean Searching for Special Characters?

If so...
from the link said:
Word allows you to search for any character as long as you know its ASCII value. (You can find ASCII values for characters in the back of many programming books.) All you need to do is use the caret, followed by a zero and then the three-digit value of the character. For instance, if you wanted to search for a capital A, whose ASCII value is 65, you would use ^0065 as your search string.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

I need to search for special characters and regular alphanumeric characters in regular text and in equations.

The approach you suggested using ^ and ascii code worked for me only with regular alphanumeric characters in regular text, but not with special characters in any context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back