Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching Before Record Is Entered 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbohon

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
US
I need a quick, easy way to search a database for a value (e.g., SSN) before the entire multiple field record has been entered.&nbsp;&nbsp;This has to be done so that we don't have any duplicate records in the database.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes, I know, I can set 'no dupes' on that field's property - but they can still go ahead and enter the entire record before finding out (when saving) that it's a dupe SSN.<br><br>My idea was to have the user enter the SSN of the &quot;new&quot; customer, do a quick search of existing records and, if no match was found, bring up the data entry form.&nbsp;&nbsp;If a match IS found in the search, I want to bring up the existing record for edit.<br><br>Any suggestions?&nbsp;&nbsp;I've written a bunch of (convoluted!) code, tested several things, and still don't have it &quot;quite right&quot; for the user.<br><br>&lt;sigh&gt;<br><br>Thanks in advance!<br><br>Tom

set up a after_update procedure for the ssn textbox <br>this DAO let me know if you are using ADO<br><br>dim intSSN as integer, recA as recordset<br><br>intSSN = me.[your textbox]<br><br>Set recA =CurrentDb).OpenRecordset&quot;yourtable&quot;,dbOpenDynaset)<br>' Set txtNum = Me.txtTag<br>Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst &quot;[ssnfield] = &quot; & intSSn<br>If Me.RecordsetClone.NoMatch Then<br>' place code that rec doesnt exist<br>else ' code for does exist<br><br>End If

tbohon,<br>I think Duane meant to do the findfirst on RecA instead of recordsetclone, since the form's recordset may be only a subset of the entire table.<br>In any case, searching on the table will do it, and for even faster searches, you could open RecA as dbOpenTable, set the index property to the indexname for ssn (you <i>should</i> index ssn with no dups).&nbsp;&nbsp;Then do this<br>RecA.seek &quot;=&quot;, intSsn<br>Depending on the size of the table, you will see a significant performance increase here.<br>--Jim

Private Sub yourcontrol_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dim dbs As Database<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dim rst As Recordset<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Set dbs = CurrentDb()<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(&quot;yourtable&quot;)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Do Until rst.EOF<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If rst!yourfield= Forms![yourform]!yourctrl Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;GoTo result<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rst.MoveNext<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End If<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Loop<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Exit Sub<br>theend:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MsgBox &quot;Duplicate value&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Cancel = True<br><br>End Sub<br>

Quicker Still..<br>Use a Combo box for SSN and as you type it will start selecting the SSN numbers as you key them in. <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

I agree with DougP. This is what the combobox was made for. And if you set it to &quot;limit to list&quot; and attach code for the &quot;on notinlist&quot; event, that code can call up your data entry form. (Don't forget to set the &quot;Response&quot; flag in that code).

How about:<br>DCount(&quot;ID&quot;, &quot;MyTable&quot;, &quot;SSN = 12345678&quot;)<br>If the result = 0 then let the user in<br>If not zero = don't let them in, give message box that returns persons name, and employee id etc etc.<br><br>Put the code in an if statement in the OnOpen event of the form like so:<br><br>Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)<br>If DCount(&quot;ID&quot;, &quot;MyTable&quot;, &quot;SSN = 12345678&quot;) = 0 Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MsgBox &quot;can't do that&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Cancel = True&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Form does not open<br>End If<br>'Form will open if it gets to here<br><br>End Sub<br>

The combo box will only be easier if the table is relatively small.&nbsp;&nbsp;Depending on the size of the table, a combobox can be excruciatingly slow, and as a rule I'd avoid using it as a 'uniqueness validation' tool, it really isn't made for that.<br>--Jim

Jim, at approx what size do you notice problems witht the speed of the combobox? I think I've only used this with tables of only a few thousand records.

elizabeth,<br>Yes, several thousand records I'll start to see it bog...and that number will be easily surpassed for say, a Customer table, where (as in tbohon's question) SSN would be needed to be checked.&nbsp;&nbsp;An employee table would probably be small enough to use the combo box, though, but my personal preference is not to use a combo box for that kind of validation--the purpose of that 'select as you type' feature of combo boxes I feel is more suited for a 'lookup' table, where you're entering a Product Code, or something like that.&nbsp;&nbsp;In addition, that combo box must be requeried then after every new record, which is another performance hit.<br>--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back