Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search shows hidden files

Status
Not open for further replies.

randysmid

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
US
Hi,
When I use the Windows Search tool, I see my hidden files and folders, but I don't want them to be visible. I've already set the Tools, Folder Options, View to not display hidden files and folders, but they still appear.

Any advice?
TIA, Randy

There are two options to check, one for hidden files, and another one for system files, did you check both?

Yes,
Both are set to not show either of these files/folders.
Randy

Hi,
Even after resetting the hidden attribute to unchecked, then checking it again, the hidden folders/files still appear in Search, as well as Explore. In spite of the fact that the file is hidden, it can still be opened (such as a PDF document) when in Search or Explore.

I have Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1, build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

TIA, Randy

Are you sure you checked the folder options and the search advanced options.

gx3,
Where can I find "search advanced options" in Win XP Pro? I must be half asleep from the long weekend, but for the life of me, I'm unable to find it.
TIA, Randy

Ok,
I found it under the initial Search window (called "More Advanced Options"). Apparently, my pc was set to show all hidden and system files.
Thank you for your help!!!
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back