Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search on my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
i have a website with mobile phone ringtones on it. i wanted to create some sort of search database, that would allow people to search for their favourite ringtones. I want to setup a simple table with 4 columns, ringtone code -unique id, artist, song name and link to preview. I want a way of creating this sort of table in a windows enviroment, then sticking it on my apache server, and then making a customised page were the results could be displayed. How would i do this, i want to choose were the the different data from each column in the table goes.

What i dont want to do is learn something like mysql, unless you can find me a guide on the net which breaks it down for me, i know a lot about html and css, but nothing else about web design,

I want to make the database in something like ms access - or another peice of software that is as easy to use, and then shift it to my webserver, then use dreamweaver to create the "reports" or search results page. I've seen this done on lots of amateur websites but i haven't been able to find a guide on the net yet as to how i should go about making this. all feedback appreciated.

You'll need to use some type of server-side scripting such as ASP, Cold Fusion, CGI/Perl, etc. I use Cold Fusion because of it's ease of use. However, it's not cheap. IIS can serve ASP pages, but you need to be familiar with VB. There are plenty of free Perl scripts out there that will do what you're asking. Chandler
I ran over my dogma with karma!

I dont want perl scripts, i have seen some and they are real crap. Does anyone know of any good tutorials on how to do this with asp and IIS, or cold fusion. How much would a coldfusion kit cost to do this, is there any coldfusion software i can use for an evaluation period or something. Any tutorials will be much appreicated.

Perl is Crap ?????

woha! ..

what don't you like about Perl ? It can do anything!

ASP can do exactly what you want easilly - just need an ODBC connection. There is a Perl Module that will read Access files as well. You could even do this easilly with a text file tab delimited.

General principle would be :
1. create a connection
2. loop through each line "searching" for the search term
3. return those lines that match
4. close connection

You'll have to work out the VB script though .. I've accessed Access DB before but can't quite remember the syntax .. besides you insulted my good friend Perl!! ;)

Get DreamWeaver Ultradev, its a lot better at creating db connections and is relativly easy to use. Macromedia have an evaluation version for free download. Live long and make your kids suffer..

Lol,

Sorry guys, i didn't mean to insult perl in general, i agree perl is excellent, but i was saying that perl scripts for search on the net are quite crap, they're too simple and cant be customised as much as i would like. Can anyone refer me to any tutorials, either using perl, odbc, asp. any help is much appreciated.

Long live perl !!!!!!!!!

Have you considered using Javascript as the search engine?? Because some host-providers don't allow .cfm or any other kind of ODBC files...
I know Javascript can do this (search the site) because I wrote such a code...if intersted lemme know... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Dreamweaver Ultra Dev is great. I was a complete novice on asp and am finishing a fairly detailed search using Ultra Dev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back