Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search engines can't "see" my keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblehill

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
FI
Hi all! I'm not a web expert, so I have a little problem with a set of web pages I created some time ago. Search engines can't "see" my keywords. The first page is located at you can take a look at the source code if you want to.

The beginning looks like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>Lauluyhtye Uusi kukka</title>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;>
<meta name=&quot;keywords&quot; content=&quot;työväenlaulu, Uusi kukka, työväenmusiikki, vallankumous&quot;>
</head>

What have I done wrong? The first versions of these pages were published in May 2001 and I've done a lot of searches with different engines. Any ideas?

Hi I looked at your site but since its not in english I couldn't do anything, exactly what is the problem?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Sorry if I didn't explain properly. I'll try again. :)

The problem occures when I try to search for this and similar pages with web search engines like Google, Altavista etc. This page is never found, other pages dealing with same topics are. I want those search engines to show this page as a result if someone's search words are for instance työväenlaulu, Uusi kukka, työväenmusiikki or vallankumous. That's why I typed this piece of html:

<meta name=&quot;keywords&quot; content=&quot;työväenlaulu, Uusi kukka, työväenmusiikki, vallankumous&quot;>

(The language in the text is Finnish. I think you don't have to understand Finnish :), just html.) I created the pages with Dreamweaver, but I did not use a template.

Now, is the line in a wrong place in the source code? Should the keywords also be found in the text itself? First versions were published a long time ago, so the problem can't be the page being new.

Any help would be great!

some search engines do not look at meta tags and go by content of your site and how many times a keyword is displayed. Try and put your keywords as many times in the body of your site as possible. I had this problem last year and did some research and managed to get some good results. It may be you are listed some way down the que in the search engine listings, as long as you have submitted your site to them that is. Also some engines like yahoo and lycos look at sites indvidually and it could take months, and if you site is too graphically intense they may not choose to list it.
just some suggestions
cheers
k.d.

yeah it's what kdrysdale said...:p I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back