Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Data Volume with NetWare Web Search Server 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaviking

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
We just upgraded to NetWare 6.5 this weekend (from 5.1) and came across the Web Search Server. In my mind, I think it would be very handy to add this function to our Intranet and have this be a quick search tool into the Data volume. Can this be done easily enough or am I looking at needing to setup an individual webserver and have people save documents there? I really would like to keep it very simple for the endusers and not have them need to learn/remember where to save a document to be retrieved quickly later. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I have gotten the Search engine to index my directory on the data volume and the search returns valid documents. The problem is that they don't display, they just return a message about invalid reference. The same document comes up just find when using NetStorage. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I've only set it up once, but my recollection is that it was very simple and troublefree. I set it up to index external as well as internal web servers in no time and got really good results.

You might want to try installing it clean on a different non-production system so you can get the hang of it, then put it on your production box. Sometimes it's confusing to get all the different web apps working together until you understand each component better.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back