Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

search crashes Explorer in Win 7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
details below. I am looking at some information elsewhere (how to get dump...) but here is what I know now.Any brilliant thoughts (they generally are here.)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16450
Application Timestamp: 4aeba271
Fault Module Name: StackHash_4aa3
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16695
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cc7ab44
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000c35e3
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4aa3
Additional Information 2: 4aa3f2cff53922d66da5814ebcaa8191
Additional Information 3: 1d5d
Additional Information 4: 1d5d698e2ae3bd2e3994fdd0cea5f2e3

Note to Linney: I downloaded and ran the fix.exe from one of the sites you recommended. It found no problems.

Slight restatement on the above. It does not always crash. Searching for the file in "My Computer" completes the search without results.
Searching in the folder c:\my files\resumes\ (where I can find at least one file with the desired name) crashes.

Not sure what "fix" you mean, is there any further information posted somewhere else?

Can you Search if you clean boot the machine?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer, OR try the System File Checker.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7)

Troubleshooting Windows 7 & Vista Search & Indexing Errors

You could look at resetting, or rebuilding the Search Index.

How to Use the Indexing Options in Vista (and probably Win 7)

Have you tested with another user in case your current profile is corrupt?

SearchMyFiles v1.48 - Alternative to 'Search For Files And Folders' module of Windows.

thank you for all. I was able to resolve the issue with indexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back