Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Companion Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leenie

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
CA
Good afternoon. Everytime I click on Start, Search I get the following error:

Search Companion
Unexpected error
Action could not be completed.

And that's it. I click OK and it's gone and I can't search. There not option to get more detail either so I hope someone here can help me out. Windows XP SP2 with all updates.

Thanks very much.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

By any chance did you or someone uninstall the search component to Win XP

--------------------
Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

Nope, but where would I double check that? I don't see Search as a component under the Add/Remove Windows Components.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Try:
Start > Run > sfc /scannow

This will ask for the XP install disc.

Let us know your results!

X

And where is the Search Component?

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Thanks. I will give that a go when I get home.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Oops. You know what. I didn't quite word my question correctly at the beginning. The search companion does come up. I don't get the error until after I enter my filename and then click search. Sorry. Maybe reinstalling it will help anyway.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

This link (and its leads) will offer you a precis of general search problems and fixes.

The one with the srchasst.inf file may be worth a try.

Error Message: "A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found" (Q315330)

Try this link with a view to fixing your search engine.
Click on WIN XP FIXES on the left of the page and look for "Win XP Search Problems".

I reinstalled the search assistant which went fine and still after I enter a filename to search for and then click search I get the error message. If it would just tell me what the error was that would be helpful.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Try life in Safe Mode, if your Search functions there, perhaps some malware is causing the problem?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Same thing happens in safe mode. I will install adaware and spybot and see if they find anything.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

You could have a look at your input languages to see if there is anything odd there?

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.

I just re-formatted and installed WInXP on my laptop. i was also getting the same error and teh fix was indeed in TweakUI. As soon as I read your post, the light bulb lit up! I had just UNticked Search Results a few hours prior! I have REticked and all is well again! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back