Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

search button

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlingac

Technical User
Jan 31, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'am currently doing my HNC and have the task of designing a computer helpdesk system.

In Notes I have a form called usersdata, this form basically has 3 fields on it called username, name and telnumber. When the form is saved the documents are stored in a view.

I have another form called newcall ,on this form I have a username, name and telnumber field along with a few other fields. What I would like the user to be able to do is type the first few letters of the username into the field then press the search button. I would like the search button to look at the userdata view and update the fields automatically.

The idea for this is to stop the helpdesk operator having to manually type in all the user details.

Hope that makes some sort of sense, any help would greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

The first problem is simple - make the field that is used to input the user name as a keyword field, taking its values from the list of users. Search will be automatic if the user clicks on the arrow indicator next to the field. It may even work by just typing in the field value.

To have an update, you will have to code a @DbLookup function that opens the second view, searches for the correct document by key, and retrieves the field value you want.

Check the syntaxe on @DbLookup in the Designer Help. Your answer is there.

Pascal.

thanks for that, but i dont have the option to create a keyword field. I use lotus domino designer 6.5, the field type i have at the moment is a text field, i can change it to others like a listbox or combobox, but i cant see anything for keyfield?

am i way of the mark?

cheers

thanks for that, but i dont have the option to create a keyword field. I use lotus domino designer 6.5, the field type i have at the moment is a text field, i can change it to others like a listbox or combobox, but i cant see anything for keyfield?

am i way off the mark?

cheers

Sorry, "keyword" is the generic name for listboxes, checkboxes, radio buttons and the like. If you already have a keyword field, then you have the option to get it to refresh automatically.
All you need to do is activate it.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back