Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

searc tool for converting excel file to a dbf 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmie

Programmer
Oct 22, 2005
BE
Hey
I search for a tool to convert a excel file to a dbf
Anyone a suggestion ?
thanks in advance
Bob

Hi, Bob

In Excel, file/save as type csv
In xBase create a database with appropriate layout for the columns in Excel, and then import from <filename>.csv delimited.

This will work unless the Excel spreadsheet is not organized in columns and as long as it doesn't have any multi-line text cells. It is best to define all fields in the db as character and then do any numeric/date conversions afterwards.

In general saving as type .dbf out of Excel dnw's, but going via CSV works most of the time.

Jock

Thanks Jock for your advice
I will test it out
Bob

bobmie,

As usual Jock is right on the money. I will push from EXCEL to a dbf format whenever possible but there are a number of problems that crop up converting straight out of EXCEL an into a dbf format. But for simple layouts you can come from EXCEL to a dbf format and it is pretty clean. Sometimes I will run a dbf out and a CSV out, clean out the dbf, and load the CSV into the dbf shell that I just created. Jock is correct in that the field types are better off as character and then converted as needed when you get into the dbf format.

Jim C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back