Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate STT2000N Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioItGuy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
US
This may be coincidental but it seems that ever since I installed SP1 for Windows XP, my seagate STT2000N tape Drive, the drive does not recognize any of my tapes used or new. I use Travan TR-5 tapes and never had a problem until now. There is no way all 7 of my tapes have gone bad. The backup program in XP does not see any media. I downloaded the diagnostic utility from Seagate and it reports "failure on unit ready" when it tries to access the tape.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Do you have more then one type of backup job?

I had this problem with multiple jobs when i tried to change a tape to a different job .. had to delete the media out of tapeware and format the tape. .. if you want the data on the tape.. delete the media from tapeware.. and run the import media option.

No, I don't. Even in default mode it does not recoginze that I have any media in the drive. It gives me an error that there is no media of the selected type available. It is set for Travan media. I have a second Travan drive (HP-T20) in another server using Windows 2000 Server SP3 and it is doing the exact same thing after I installed SP3.

No, I have given up. Do you have a sugestion?

hi, seems to be the same problem as i do have. have you ever checked the transmission-belt (i hope this is the right englisch word)? in our server it often jumps off. open the pc-case and check the streamer-drive - perhaps this helps.

hi, seems to be the same problem as i do have. have you ever checked the transmission-belt (i hope this is the right english word)? in our server it often jumps off. open the pc-case and check the streamer-drive - perhaps this helps.
georg
=/:)

That was my problem on one tape drive, belt keeps falling off. The other unit destroys (physically breaks the tape) tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back