Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate ST380011A - Failure imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarat260980

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
GB
Hello there

I have got seagate ST380011A which i bought about a year or so ago. Now a days everytime i restart my pc it makes a long beep noise and suddenly this morning i started getting following message.
Primary SMART drive BAD. Backup data as failure imminent.
i have got no clue on how to sort this. i have done checkdisk and even defragmantation.

Please help
i am running windows xp sp2, 1gb ram,dvd-cd rw/

Help much appreciated

Aarat

Aarat H Patel

Take heed of what that message is telling you - ignore at your peril! Make a backup of your data onto some other media immediately. Also, if you have the facility, either make an image of the complete drive or do a complete disk-to-disk copy onto a known good hard disk.

Check with Seagate to see what the position is re replacement under warranty. I believe Maxtor and Fujitsu both have 3 year warranties...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

s.m.a.r.t is a program that checks your hard drive every time you boot up. So smart is telling you the hard drive is going to fail at some point in the near future.
Therefore, advice that G0AOZ has given is his usual great advice.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back