Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate ST318404LC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2004
GB
Not sure i'm in quite the right place but im sure you'll let me know.

We have a server that we inherited a while back (we're a highschool so we gladly accept donations :) )that today lost a disk, on further inspection there are 4 Seagate ST318404LC 18gig disks in a stripe. We can't seem to get this disk from anywhere nearby. Is is possible to get another larger capacity disk and insert it into the RAID array. It users an AMI MegaRaid 40-LD Bios.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.

You can use a 36 gig Seagate. Aside from the difficulty locating these disks, is the cost, higher than the 36 gig disks. I was is the same situation a couple of months back, very few references to "new" disks, plenty of "recertified drives", defintely do not go this route; they generally have a 1 year or less warranty.

Cheers for the reply technome, i've actually decided to ditch the bad disk and setup the remaining disks as RAID 5. It was setup as RAID 0 before [thumbsdown].

We can get by with this for a while and try to budget for a new box.

I made a poor assumsption it was raid 5. Good move toward the raid 5, raid 0 is beyond my fear threshold.

I have run into the inability to get replacement drives a number of times. In one raid it cost 3 times the original price for a drive, only 4 years later (long story, it needed to be the exact model)

Yep i know what you mean, unfortunatly SCSI disks are a bit pricey for us to just have a few on the shelf in case.

Cheers.

Hi technome just another Q if you don't mind.

We use RAID 5 on our two other Dell servers and they provide a consistency checker that I run once a month, I don't have a utility for the aforementioned server that is now RAID 5 can you suggest any utils?

Cheers.

To be honest I only run the consistency cheaker if something is acting strangely. I have raid server which I have not run the checker for years. The raid device is AMI, now Lsilogic , you can download "Power Console", the raid software for AMI devices, from the Lsilogic.com site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back