Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (ST750LX003)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got one of these drives for a customer as an upgrade for his laptop. Before I give it to him, I decided to test it on an older desktop to see what it did for performance. This is one of the hybrid drives - spinning platters + 8GB flash.

Test summary.
1. Older HP desktop computer (Pavilion a1310n)
2. XP SP3 with 2GB RAM
3. Original/Source/Cloned hard drive: Western Digital WD2000JD (200GB SATA, 7200 rpm)
4. Cloning software - Bootable CD of Seagate Disc Wizard

The cloning went well and as part of the cloning, Disc Wizard aligns the hard drive partitions to be compatible with this Advanced Format drive (4K sectors).

I tested boot time on the original hard drive and then on the cloned new drive. How did I determine boot time? I put NOTEPAD.exe in the startup group. I used a stopwatch - pressed the power button, started the stopwatch and when notepad launched, I stopped the stopwatch.

Old hard drive boot time: 45 seconds consistently
New hard drive boot time (first, second, third, fourth): 1. 43 sec 2. 33 sec 3. 33 sec 4. 33 sec

So, you see that after the first boot, the drive learned (cached) enough of the operating system to improve boot time by about 10 seconds. Actually 7 seconds of that time was the PC doing its POST, but that doesn't really matter because it's 7 seconds regardless of the hard drive. Performance once booted seems more sprightly and if you do the same activities all the time (browser, Outlook, etc.) it should speed up launching programs.

Other thoughts:
1. This motherboard doesn't support 6Gb/s speeds so a better board would probably see better results. As a matter of fact, it looks like both the mobo and hard drive are only capable of 1.5GB/s SATA speed so this isn't the ideal test rig but it was all I had to work with.
2. I'll post results of how it works in the laptop when I do that clone. The laptop supports 3GB/s SATA.
3. Yes, I had extra time on my hands today!

Put it in the destination laptop last week and strangely, boot times were only about 2 seconds less after multiple tries. However, everything within Windows is snappier now - launching Outlook for example. Boot time is apparently not the best test of performance increase.

I would recommend this drive under two scenarios:
1. Running XP and not choosing a SSD due to them not really being supported under XP
2. Needing more space on a laptop and giving you much more storage for the money vs. an SSD with a good boost in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back