Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

strom99

MIS
Nov 28, 2000
US
Does anyone know of another tool besides Seagate Info that will allow security and scheduling of reports. The licensing for Info is very expensive. Any advice?

Thanks

My advice is to invest now and build your own tool for scheduling and use your server or database for security. Seagate Info is really hard to customize. If you want to validate parameters or do any GUI stuff before the report is called, Info will be frustrating. On the other hand, if you write a simple VB app. you can set it up to do exactly what you need. I'm not sure how expensive it is to buy VB and distribute VB apps, but I think it's well worth it.

Kathryn

I need to find out some info on how Crystal Reports works... the ability of it to grab reports from an oracle database in a non web based Java application. any thoughts of where to go.

dugald: You should be able to use the Crystal Reports COM object to integrate with Java. Seagate probably has about half a page of documentation on it so it won't be easy. Crystal can usually get to Oracle with no problem. Check the Seagate website for more details

Kathryn

Strom99: I would disagree with Kathryn about the Seagate Info task. There is a full SDK available (it's free but tech support for first year is mandatory!) and this would enable you to have full control over the customisation of the way Info works. We have a number of clients who are using Info in a specific way which keeps their licence costs to a minimum - you may care to e-mail me for more details.

David Monks
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

dcm-

what is your email address? I would like to here more details.

Thanks
dcm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back