Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Desktop vs 7.0 Folder Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr1

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
NZ
Team
I have a folder and sub folder structure...setup geographically to keep everything tidy on Seagate Info Desktop Vs 7.0.

However I wish to assign user rights to one of the sub folders only so that the user can only see the appropriate sub folder and non of the others....

I seem to have come unstuck..Can anyone assist please as this is urgent...Or do I have to restructure..my folders...(I hope not...)
TIA

You can do this by assigning permissions at the sub folder for the relevant groups (providing people are grouped accordingly).
There is a check box under the security tab to 'view folder on desktop' - use this as necessary.
You may encounter problems if you want to start creating more complex folder and group structures as Info does not permit groups within groups ala Windows NT style.
This was a big problem for me but it is much better in Enterprise (but not much help in this case I'm afraid!)

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Thanks for that;.. however I have created a different group but users can still see into the sub folders of the other group.

e.g. I have FolderA as main and subfolder1 and subfolder2...Users can see reports in subfolder1 and subfolder2 via FolderA even though they are in different groups. If subfolders are not going to work for critical sensitive stuff I will have to drag the subfolder back to a main folder. If you can point me in the direction via seagate security that may help It would be appreciated.
TIA

Because of the limitations of Info we have people grouped according to user function and not by department, so we have users, power users, designers, admins set up.
It is not possible to have departmental groups and then have subgroups according to user function (remember I mentioned this limitation has been lifted in Enterprise)

Taking your analogy:

Folder A security options - All groups have 'View folder on desktop' and 'view instances in folder'

Subfolder1 sec options - Required groups have 'View folder on desktop' and 'view instances in folder'
- Do not check for other groups

Subfolder2 sec options - Required groups have 'View folder on desktop' and 'view instances in folder'
- Do not check for other groups

This works in our setup without any problems - I hope this has been of some use to you.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back