Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate 7 Maximum Data Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeagateWhat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2005
US
I have inherited a Seagate Info 7 system that is flakey at best.

One employee ports data into the system (I am not really sure how I am still trying to figure this ancient system out) then she runs two reports. One of which is running nicely, the other runs but when you view the report there is no data.

When I went to check the application log (running on an NT4 box dear God) there are more errors than one can count. Most of which are:

Event ID: 2000

Invalid Arguement: SELECT CI_PARAMETER,.......long list of code I assume.

However after sorting through several pages of errors I fidn one that says:

Database has reached maximum size : SELECT CI_PARAMETER....same as above after the parameter.

Checked the database size (I assume cinfo.mdb) is 1,048578. Just over the 1 gig mark a good point to say hey no more.

What I am wondering is how would I go about viewing all the data in there and say purging anything before date X to another database and makign it an archive of sorts.

I have zero knowledge of this system at all. I am a network admin that got hired and the guy that did all this left a few months later without passing on much on this system besides pray it never fails......

thx for any suggestions

My sympathies.
We also have a Info application of similar vintage.
The problem is that Access97 does a poor job of garbage collection. The mdb is full of temporary access objects generated by the Info application. There is surprisingly little real data.
Here is what I would do.

First, under Control Panel -> Services look for all services starting with 'Info'. There should be 5 or 6 of them. Make note of which ones are 'Started'.
Next, Stop the Info services. I don't think the shutdown order is important, but I'm not positive. Where one service is dependent on another, you will probably get a warning that stopping one will stop others.
Next -- VERY IMPORTANT -- Make a BACKUP COPY of the CInfo.mdb.
Before continuing, confirm that ALL the 'Info' Services are STOPPED. If they aren't stopped, you risk mdb corruption.
Next, using Access (probably Access97), open the CInfo.mdb.
From the Access toolbar select: Tools -> Database Utilities -> Repair Database. This may take a while given such a large mdb.
When that completes, select: Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact Database. This too may take a while depending on the mdb size.
Next, restart the 'Info' services. Again, I'm not 100% positive about the order. If one is dependent on another, you should get a warning when you try to start it.
That should do it.
Depending on how many jobs are in the Info system, the mdb should be significantly smaller.
Good luck.

We run our SI connected to Oracle rather than to the default Access database, so I haven't had this problem. However, the correct order for starting the services is:

Info Sentinel
Info Agent
Info APS

There are no warnings and sometimes the APS won't let you view or export reports correctly if the Agent wasn't running prior to starting the APS.

Shutdown order is not as important, but if you stop the Sentinel, it will usually stop the other services.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back