Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seagate 40 pin hard drive cable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamessearle0

Technical User
Mar 4, 2009
GB
hi serious newb question, i recently ordered a seagate hard drive but i didnt come with a cable to connect it,

its a fibrechannel port on the hard drive but the port on my mother board is a "ultraDMA 133/100 connecter"

basically, in a nutshell, does anyone have any idea what kind of cable i need to buy or what addapter i need to buy???

thanks

james

Basically the hard drive you ordered won't work with your PC. Typically a fiber drive is for servers or drive arrays/SAN. They are usually MUCH more expensive than regular SATA drives or IDE drives unless they are older.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

ah...bummer...it was a pretty good drive too, 15k cheetah

Welcome to the forum. You could look into getting a Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter controller card, but that might be more than you'd want to spend given an older mainboard, but it IS an option. I've seen used ones for about $100 on . It's a nice drive, shame you can't get to use it...

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back