Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDLT320 Firmware Upgrade Keeps Failing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
Hope this is the right forum for this, if not let me know. We hae an HP ProLiant ML350 G4p which has an SDLT320 tape drive. Last nights backup tape got stuck in the drive, so we shut down the server and got it back out after restart. However, whenever we put in a tape ArcServe (our backup software) doesn't see any tape there. Neither does Microsoft Backup

I downloaded HP L&TT and ran this, but it fails straight away saying that no cartridge is in the drive. I decided to try to upgrade the firmware as the current version is V082 which I presume is quiet old (most recent version is V095 releasted Jan. 07). So I stopped all the ArcServe services and the removable storage service, and downloaded the firmware using HP L&TT, but when I try to upgrade, it fails straight away. I tried going directly to V095 and also tried upgrade to V085 but both fail. When I look in the log, all it says is "transferring image 1 of 71" under "Operations Log".

Does anybody have any ideas why this is? The file that the Library and Tape Tools downloaded is 2.2MB - is this the entire firmware upgrade or just a "pointer"? ie, does it just tell the tape drive to go to the internet to download the actual firmware? If so then I'd rather download the entire file and do it manually, just incase anything goes wrong. But the HP website just says to use L&TT.

Can anybody help out with this at all?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

look into the front of your SLDT, and ensure the tape leader is there, waiting for a tape to pull into the machine. Tape/Cart signals are only 'Ready" after the mechanism pulls ~30" of tape out of the cart, and sensors indicate it is wrapped and ready. I'm guessing the leader popped off its retainer, the tape isn't loading and it'll never go ready.
If so, maintenance or you will have to fix. This may or may not be the same procedure as with DLT drives - but I assume it is very similar and not hard to do.
FROM the SUN Book @:
Advanced technology
Sun StorageTek™ SDLT cartridges feature a wide range of innovative technology advancements
including:
... An improved, positive linking tape leader buckling system, which provides a secure link with the
drive leader <---- My guess this ain't working right ;-)

You cannot use the HP L&TT with a SDLT320. You need a program called x-talk which can be found on the Quantum web site. The SDLT320 is a Quantum tape drive and will not work with the HP program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back