Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDL library version error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supership

Technical User
Dec 19, 2009
IT
hi, i've just downloaded a test game to try compiling it with the gcc compiler in Solaris, the problem was that ./configure command return this error

*** Could not run SDL test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding SDL or finding the wrong
*** version of SDL. If it is not finding SDL, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: *** SDL version 1.1.6 or above not found!

if needed I'll post even the previous output, anyway I've just installed the 1.2.x SDL lybrary and used the crle -l command, and now in the crle output there is even the /usr/local/lib directory. What should I do? Is there a previous version of SDL library installed on Solaris by defautl? how can I control the version of SDL library on my OS ? I can't manage to solve the problem.

p.s. thanks domburns62 for the grub help

As the message says, if you set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of the SDL library you have installed, I'm guessing /usr/local/lib, then it should be able to find it:

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

Annihilannic.

i tried this but it returns this error

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib: is not an identifier

the english traduction should be like that one. , anyway I've even tried to do

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and this worked , but the configuration error still remains, are the SDL library a package ? can I verify their version somewhere? I don't understand why their are not being recognized from the OS.

often supply pre-built packages of freeware like SDL, but for some reason SDL isn't listed on their main page.

They do have an x86 version here:

I couldn't see a SPARC equivalent. What platform are you on?

I guess there could be problems with that package though if they haven't listed it on their main page for some reason.

What package is the existing SDL library on your system part of? Where did you get it from?

Annihilannic.

I've installed the 2.13 version of SDL libraries, this time the error messagge changed a little bit

*** Could not run SDL test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means SDL was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved SDL since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the sdl-config script: /usr/local/bin/sdl-config
configure: error: *** SDL version 1.1.6 or above not found!

If I execute /usr/local/bin/sdl-config --version , it returns 1.2.13, this should means that the system recognize the right version, isn't it? why doesn't the program do the same ? I've installed the SDL package without modifing no-one of the standard parameters , so I only have to add the /usr/local/lib path to the system paths with the crle command, right?

What game are you trying to compile? I'll try installing that library and compiling it myself.

Annihilannic.

i'm trying with abuse, it's the first game I've found , but this or another one is the same for me, I just want the SDL libraries to work correctly, this game in particular is not so important

finally i found the 1.2.9 version of the sdl libraries and that error doen't appear anymore , but I 've read that it was best to use the gnu make, so I've gone to the sunfreeware site downloaded it. Then I removed SUNWgmake and installed the gnumake , now the compile process ends without errors , but the make one end with this

-L/usr/openwin/lib -lX11 -lXext -lposix4 - L/usr/lib -lGL -lpthread -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/local/lib
ld: warning: file /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so: attempted multiple inclusion of f ile
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
SDL_SaveBMP_RW sdlport/libsdlport.a(event.o)
SDL_LoadBMP_RW sdlport/libsdlport.a(video.o)
SDL_RWFromFile sdlport/libsdlport.a(video.o)
SDL_MixAudio sdlport/libsdlport.a(sound.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to abuse
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [abuse] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/Desktop/softSource/abuse-0.7.1/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Desktop/softSource/abuse-0.7.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Desktop/softSource/abuse-0.7.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

i googled and find that ld is the linker application, maybe I've to install the GNU version, to make it works , but I can't find it for download.

You shouldn't need GNU make. Even if you do find you need it, you shouldn't need to uninstall the Solaris make to use it.

Similarly you shouldn't need the GNU linker; those are genuine linker errors that would be reported by any linker.

Well, I tried with that sdl-1.2.13-sol10-x86-local package I pointed you to and had the same error as you ("SDL version 1.1.6 or above not found!"). It turned out that the test programme was not compiling due to a missing libiconv2 (which the configure script should probably be checking for separately). Anyway, I downloaded and installed that from SunFreeware.com, tried again, and then had similar linker errors to you, but for different functions (SDL_HasMMX). It's a bit baffling that SDL is unable to find functions which should apparently be defined in its own library; I'm guessing it hasn't been tested much on other platforms, and this could explain why it isn't available in the usual place on SunFreeware.com.

Where did you find SDL 1.2.9? Blastwave.org?

Annihilannic.

first off thanks for the help giving.

After I searched so much,I arrived to this page here there is a list of SDL release.

I searched the SUNWgmake on the solaris installation dvd, and found a folder with a lots of SUNW.... subfolders, are that the solaris original packages? for reinstalling the SUNWgmake on my system I just have to copy the SUNWgmake folder back to the folder that contains all the others SUNW... package on my hard disk?

No, you need to use pkgadd -d /path/to/SUNWmake/on/DVD to reinstall the package.

I hope you removed it using pkgrm and not just by removing the files? In any case, reinstalling should hopefully tidy things up.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back