Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sddpcm path problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfaix

MIS
Nov 25, 2003
US
I have just completed building a new boot from SAN AIX 5.3 server (from a mksysb of a different server).

For whatever the reason, one of my HBA's isn't connecting properly to the disk subsystem (ESS 800). If I remove the devices (rmdev -dl fcs1 -R) and then rerun cfgmgr, I get:

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgscsidisk -l hdisk0 ):
0514-040 Error initializing a device into the kernel.

On an lspath I get:
Enabled hdisk0 fscsi0
Enabled hdisk0 fscsi0
Defined hdisk0 fscsi1
Defined hdisk0 fscsi1

I also have errors in my error saying "DISK OPERATION ERROR" and "OPEN PATH FAILED"

The link likes on the card look good.

I've done this procedure, many times however this one is acting weird. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I think there has been a confusion in the process because you are using two FCs to connect to a SAN boot device (hdisk0)

If a reboot didn't solve the problem try the following:

Code:
0514-040 Error initializing a device into the kernel 
Possible Causes 
You were unable to configure a specific device. While trying to initialize your device driver, you were unable to load it as part of the kernel extension. The specific device driver file in the /etc/drivers file is damaged or contains software errors. 
Your Object Data Management (ODM) database file is damaged, and you are unable to configure your device.
Procedures for Recovery 
Check for possible software errors if you are modifying your configuration method or device driver. 
Try replacing the device driver file if you suspect that the device driver is damaged. 
Copy the device driver file from another system that has the same release level as your system, either through the network by running the ftp command, or through a diskette by using the backup and restore commands. When you restore the file, make sure that it preserves the permission code, ownership, and location of your previous file. 
Enter your command again.
If you suspect that the ODM database is damaged, try replacing the PdAt file. 
Copy the PdAt file from another system that has the same release level as your current system, either through the network by running the ftp command, or through a diskette by using the backup and restore commands. When you restore the file, make sure that it preserves the permission code, ownership, and location of your previous file. 
Enter your command again.

regards,
Khalid

You must must use the following Command:

relbootrsv

and then reboot the box.

This works fine at AIX5.3 and an DS8000

It is descript in the Readme to the SDDPCM Package.

Regards.
Mikri

Yep, thats right, i was reading it in the SDD Users Guide, not in the README.

Sorry

regards,
Mikri

Wow...that did it.

I'm familiar with this command, I just assumed since I had sddpcm on the machine I took the mksysb of (and had run this), that everything would be ok.

I just switched 9 servers last weekend from aix default pcm to sddpcm, and this was the first time I'd built a server from one of those mksysbs.

Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back