Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SD Card Reader not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Greetings,

I am using a Dell Studio Laptop running W7. The laptop has a built in SD card reader. It worked great reading both SD and SDHC cards. Then I got an update and now I have a xD-Picture Card Reader E: showing up on the computer drives list. Unfortunately, when I insert a card nothing happens. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. Still not functional. I even inserted a SD card, shutdown and rebooted thinking that the SD card might be found on startup, but that didn't work either. There have been several updates since the SD card reader stopped working so I can't go back. Dell has been no help except to tell me to redo what I had already done. Lastly they said I should backup and restore the computer to factory settings and then reinstall everything. I am very reluctant to do that since I have lots of software and data to manage and would then have to go through all the upgrades again.

One thing I did notice is that all the drivers are Microsoft not Dell. Is that correct?

Does anyone have any things to try to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would go back to dells website, and download the drivers for your machine. Sometimes, windows update will update drivers, but they just end up breaking something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back