Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCTP cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicardie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2002
LU
Hi guys,

If a LAN is going to be installed using sctp cable, then everything must OR may be shielded?

ScTP is Screened TP so yes, for you to realize the benefits of ScTP all components must be ScTP rated. Bond both the foil and drain wire at both ends per manufacturer instructions.
You also need to use ScTP patch cords to complete the circuit at the work station. Check for voltage between the jack and NIC before you plug it in though, anything over 1 volt you have a problem that will require correction.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Thanks for your answer servamatic.

What if connectors, patch cords, patch cables, patch panels, etc., are not shielded? I mean, what if ONLY the cable is shielded and then the patch panels are grounded at the rack? Is there any kind of problem with this?...

Well, I'm not cabling the LAN, it is a firm we're going to hire for the job. They told me that the only thing really needed is to ground the patch panels at the rack by using some ground bars. Sorry I don't know the technical language in English, but English is not my native language...

Well, if that is ALL they said, I wouldn't hire them.
Ask them for the manufacturers instruction sheets for the product they intend to install, and see what it says should be done, and if doing less would void the manufacturers warranty.
It sounds like they are mixing manufacturers, if that is the case that in itself can lead to problems.
For best performance products should be matched and tested together, if not, the manufacturer generally wont offer a warranty either.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Ok, I'll have a conversation with them. Thanks for your reply!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back