Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI TAPE DRIVE INSTALLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliasgitau

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2008
KE
Dear All,

I have UNIX installation am supposed to backup. I have tried to install / configure my internal tape drive but invain. The tape drive is attached to Adaptec 7800 family. The adaptec card is in 2nd PCI Slot. On SCSI Utility, tape drive is in ID 6. I use the following steps to make the device:-
1.) mkdev tape
2.) select 1
3.) select 1 - for install
4.) Scsi Host Adapter = blad
how do i access the tape drive using:-
tar cvfb /dev/rStp0

it has been a while:

tar cvf (create,verbose,device) /dev/rStp0 /etc
should create a tar of /etc on your tape device zero

although the f indicates device it can also be a file

Did you reboot the system and did the tape drive show up in the last hardware listing in /usr/adm/messages?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Which version of which SCO OS ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

When you boot the system, does the Adaptec BIOS 'see' the tape drive? If so, exactly how does it report it onscreen?

(Adapter#, ID#)

Then post a text screen capture of your mkdev tape setup (ask it to delete a scsi tape, then bail when it shows you the current setup and asks if it's ok to delete).

I suspect you ID'd the wrong adapter number - there are two logical adapters per card, corresponding to the physical connector you use.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back