Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI - SATA id conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

witney

Technical User
Nov 9, 2007
GB
I have a Proliant 3000 running Win2k Advanced Server as a back-up computer.
It is not running as an array, but as just 7 individual Compaq SCSI drives inserted
(SCSI id 0-6). The OS is installed on Drive id 0.
I have been unhappy with this setup since encountering a couple of failing 2nd-hand disks - so secondary backup is an area I have been contemplating.

So recently I purchased an external SATA drive along with a PCI SATA card.

Trying to install the SATA option into the Proliant 3000 has caused me problems...
The problem is that the boot-up SCSI drive (Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0) has the same id as the external SATA drive (Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0) despite using completely different architecture ?
The other SCSI drives all vary the 'Target ID' numbers because of their positions naturally.

So at boot-up I am now prompted with the 'Non-System disk error' message when the SATA drive is on.

I can get around the problem currently by only powering-up the SATA a little after the SCSI spin-ups have occurred and once the OS has started from the SCSI drive 0.
It works and is fast, but it feels like a bodged job having 2 drives with exactly the same id despite using different hardware routing - hardly ideal when dealing with the back-up data.

How can I change the id that the SATA drive assumes? (Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0) - I have had a look via Smartstart 5.5, but there is nothing obvious that I can alter for the SATA PCI card.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

thanks

Witney

Get a RAID controller and run the other 7 in RAID---two on a mirror for the OS, 4 in a RAID 5 with the last one as a hot spare.
That way, they'll only take up 4 id's.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back