Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI hybrid setup (LSIU160/Cheetah ST318452LC) in PC (with 2 IDE HDDs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdruid

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
US
I acquired a 15K SCSI HD and did some research and rounded up an LVD/SE terminator with active negation, a U320 rated round (68 pin) 2 device cable, and a SCA/SCA2 (68/50) adapter for the 80 pin Cheetah.

Is this going to work? Having no experience with SCSI I have been researching it as best I can for the past few weeks. Since I am only configuring one LVD/SE drive with a 2 device card and they are both U160 LVD/SE I chose a simple SCA adapter--is a dock or cage neccessary?

I had planned to mount the drive in front of a fan in my case--the SCA adapter has a molex for power (450 PSU)--the drive is already jumpered from Seagate (according to the seller) and XP pro should recognize the card.

I figure the terminator is mandatory--something about high byte negation--though there is no 8bit 16bit bottleneck
if it's all U160.

I have the drive--the other bits are in the mail--just doing my prep before install--anyone with knowledge of SCSI configuration for PC please help me out!

I hope to load the OS via PC Commander and continue using multiple boot. Should be a screamer...

Thanks--CyberD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back