Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI drives out of RAID Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricemcse

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
US
Greetings:

I have IBM Netfinity 5000 servers with 5 SCSI drive each in RAID 5 Configurations. Hitachi, the manufacturer says the in order to use the drive fitness diagnostic software I must bring each drive up separately out of the configuration. They cannot tell me how this is done. Advice sought.

Do not use Hitachi's drive fitness test for IBM-branded Hitachi drives. Use IBM's utilities. The firmware for vendor-provided drives may not be the same as the vendor-branded drives and the results of the fitness test are not a conclusive indication of the state of the HDD. IBM won't replace your HDD because it failed a Hitachi test!

Believe Hitachi reference was refering to placing each drive in the array on a scsi host adapter for testing (one at a time). Many drive utilities can not test individual drives on a raid adapter, as they were not designed to work on raid adapters. Backup you system before testing. If you proceed, mark your drives and the slots as to drive placement within the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back