Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Drive Type Mismatch & Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2002
US
Greetings All,

I have an ML 530 G1 server with a second drive cage that is currently empty. I want to populate the cage with drives that I have aquired from two sources. 4 of the drives are 36 GB, 10K Ultra3 SCSI. The other 2 are 36GB 10K Ultra320 SCSI.

My question is, can the Ultra3 and the Ultra320 exist in the same drive cage and in the same RAID 5 array? Is the Ultra 320 SCSI too new for the ML 530 G1?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

Check here, this is the Quickspecs for the ML530 G1:

Here they only mention up to Ultra 3 disks but I guess this document was written before the Ultra 320 drives came out. I would suggest you can stick the Ultra 320 drives in, as long as the RAID controller supports them you should be ok.

Don't know about mixing the drives. Theory would state that the Ultra 320 drives should step down to the Ultra 3 disks level but you may have to test this.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back