Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scsi drive status offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomik

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
NL
I recently added a second scsi disk to our Proliant ML350 server. Both disks are placed in two out of four available hot-swap bays en both disks are recognized. One is at ID3 and one at ID6. So far so good, but when NT4 boots, just before the logonscreen appears, suddenly the led indicator saying that the disk is offline (the one with the disk with a cross), begins burning. This however doesn't seem to stop the disk from functioning as i can successfully write data to and from the disk, partition or format it etc..

My question is first ofcourse; does the burning led indicate an serious error that should immediately be fixed, or can there be a configuration problem which sets the status light to 'on' while there is actually nothing wrong.

Both disk do not participate in any RAID-set, they are just plain scsi disks.

Hope someone can give me a clue in this.

Have you tried re-seating the disk? ie just press the purple button and pull the lever down and then close it back up again? If you do it make sure you do it firmly and that the disk is fully seated!

G

I already tried that. I even took it out again and inserted it in another bay.
But as mentioned before, during POST-operation, nothing is wrong. Somewhere during startup of NT4, the light starts burning and continues to do so, unless a hard reboot is performed. It seems a bit like a driver-problem or something, but I am using the latest firmware and scsi-drivers for NT.
Since all seems to work alright, i'm a bit confused now...

what does insight say about the disks

crank up the browser and go to see what this says abouit the disks
maybe give you a clue

also what does the acu say about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back