Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Disk Arrays??

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksoprano

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
Can someone point me in the direction to finding some SCSI Disk Arrays that will hold IDE drives??

Thanks!

You can not connect IDE drives to a scsi controller. IDE drives to IDE controllers, and scsi drives to a scsi controller,you can not mix them. If you are asking if there is a scsi enclosure for scsi drives with say an ide bay for a cdrom drive or something like that...I have never seen anything like that as that would have 2 cables on the case to the pc. And since I have never seen a server or a pc with an external ide header there would be no point.

What are you looking to do?
Rich

rclarke250,

"You can not connect IDE drives to a scsi controller. IDE drives to IDE controllers, and scsi drives to a scsi controller,you can not mix them"

Im well aware of that, but thats not what im looking to do.. Im looking for a scsi enclosure that will support EIDE drives and connect to the host system via SCSI..

Something similar to this:

Wow, I wasn't aware they were doing that...I noticed in the specs that it is about 5 times slower than native scsi throughput. But I guess if you were using it for personel storage it would work great and be far cheaper then going with scsi. But if it is for an office with a database that has a lot of activity I would go with scsi. depends on price performance ratio between the 2 options.

Rich

Learn something new everyday :) Yea it would be for personal use only, and will not be under intensive read/writes at any given time.. Just need to have a large amount of disk space available to store all my files...

Brand new those units cost a arm and a leg, been trying to find a used one or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back