Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI confusion - can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusBrown

Programmer
Nov 24, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have a Sony SDX-700C AIT tape drive that I'd like to connect to a laptop with a PCMCIA SCSI controller card. I found an Adaptec card (SlimScsi 1460) but can't figure out whether the two are compatible. Can anyone put me out of my mysery?

The Sony has a 68 pin high density connector, the Adaptec card says it comes with a 50 pin low density (SCSI-1) and a 50 pin high density (SCSI-2) cable. But the Sony is SCSI-3, right? Adaptec also sell a 50 pin high density to 68 pin high density converter (ACK-68P-50P), could I use that? Would it work?

I'm well out of my depth here so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gus

Just make sure the adapter ends are correct (male / female) and it should work.

You can do that but it will substantially reduce the performance of the drive (drive is wide SCSI (16-bits at a time) - while the PC Card adapter is narrow SCSI (8-bits at a time). You can get equally good adapters cheaper at Computergate.com or hypermicro.com or on eBay than from Adaptec.
. I'm thinking there is a firewire to scsi adapter that may do a better job if you can locate it and your lappy is firewire equipped.
.bh.
B-)

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Thanks guys. In the end I got a reply from Sony with the following:

------------
The SDX-700C is using the Ultra 160 SCSI-3 interface, and as such has been designed to be used with a 16-bit wide Low Voltage Differential (LVD) interface.
If your SCSI-2 adapter supports a 16-bit databus (SCSI-2 Wide), the SDX-700C should work, although with severely reduced performance. However, if your SCSI adapter has a 50 pin connector, which it should have as you are asking about a converter, it will probably not support Wide SCSI. Check the manual for the SCSI adapter to be sure.
Our AIT and AIT2 tape drives, SDX-400C and SDX-500C, can operate using an 8-bit (narrow) databus.
------------

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back