Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI CD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Programmer
Mar 13, 1999
US
I'm installing a cd burner on a system at work on a windows nt server so we can store video files on cd. however whenever I try to access the drive, the computer continually tries to access the drive and locks up the system. According to NT the deviece is installed and working properly. Am I missing a driver or something? Any comments would be greatly appreciated<br>

Check to see if you have any IRQ/DMA Conflicts in the system. Also be sure that you have the SCSI Chain terminated at both ends of the chain. <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have tried removing and reinstalling. I will check the irq/dma<br>
thanks<br>

Are you really sure you want to install a CD burner on an NT Server? CD-ROM burning typically<br>
consumes all available resources to complete, which will cripple the server. Why not try installing<br>
the device on a workstation. It can make life a lot simpler.

I agree! I've noticed that even a 3D screensaver can slow it down so much, never mind a CD burner. Go for a workstation, you'll probably have more luck...

I agree that a CD burner on a server will tend to hog the cpu (SCSI will tend to do this less than an IDE cd burner, though). Not only will the server serve slower, but the flow of data to the cd burner during a burn may be interrupted long enough for the burner's data buffer to be emptied, resulting in a buffer underrun error and the cd being burned rendered useless except for use as a coaster.<br>
<br>
Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back