Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scsi cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

darronb

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Quick Question

is it possable to install 2 SCSI cards into one PC due to the different connects of SCSI 1 and SCSI 3

Yes as long as you have enough PCI slots available in your PC.
Each SCSI card should have it's own SCSI ID.
Also something to consider is Device drivers for your Operating system.

Yup, I do it all the time. All of my servers have onboard SCSI for their hard disks, and the ones that manage tape drives/libraries all have an additional SCSI controller for the backup device. This is mainly because the tape systems have different interfaces/connectors/modes than the onboard controllers, and the fact that we want the backup device to be on a separate channel/bus for maximum performance. As long as you stick with the more "brand name" SCSI controllers, you shouldn't have any issues with drivers interfering with each other.

Up to 4 with some systems, 3 with others. And you can find multiple SCSI channels on some controllers. I run 2 or 3 on the Unix boxes I build.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back