Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI and RAID IBM x205

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2003
AU
My environemtn: Redhat 9 server in IBM x205,two IDE hard disk, one CD-RW, one CD-ROM.
I know SCSI is faster than IDE, SCSI controller can connect more than 4 hard disk. SCSI hard disk is much expensive than IDE hrad disk. IDE can only have 4 hard disk, but much cheaper. RAID 5 can be either software or hardware.

I want to build a RAID 5 for storage purpose on this x205. SCSI is expensive, I want to know if I can use IDE to build a RAID5, how to do? Thanks!

HI

You would need a IDE Raid controller to enable RAID support for your IDE HDD's.

You can get any brand from a PC shop, but if you want the "IBM" product see below.

IBM ServeRAID-7t S-ATA Controller
WEB Price is A$599.01

I am thinking to use software RAID. SO what I need is to buy PCI IDE controller.
Now the big problem is: I open the case of IBM x205, it has space for SCSI adapter, but I didn't find space to put more IDE hard disk!

What to do ? I think all the server should have spare space for more hard disk. Why not this one?

If your HDD is mounted directly below the FDD, you should have bays for 3 more IDE HDD"s under your existing HDD.
If not, you must be ,missing part of the enclosure that fit's 3 internal HDD.

You should see the following...
BAY 1 = CDROM
Bay 2 = Blank (or burner...or whatever)
Bay 3 = FDD
Bay 4 = HDD (primary)
Bay 5 = HDD 2
Bay 6 = HDD 3
Bay 7 = HDD 4

regards

Bernard

I read the manual, it states 7 bays, I should have 3 remaining. Just when I open the case, there are some blue or black plastic frame, it is said that they are for SCSI adapter, there is some space, but I don't feel the IDE can fit in. I will check one more time.

Bad ideas - both the IDE RAID and the software RAID. Assuming you intend to use this server as a server (i.e. running 24x7), IDE is not the right solution. SCSI HDDs are designed to run 24x7, IDEs are not. Why do you think IDE is cheaper? How much will it cost you to restore from backup when the IDE (or worse, the software implementation) RAID dies. Yes, I said when, not if.

I will go along with Catorze, IDE raid is basically in infancy, impletmentation standards and stability varies with the manufacturers; within a couple of years IDE will be ready for production servers, but as of now scsi is your best bet.

Hardware verus software raid 5...hardware is far more stabile, OS system file are less involved. Hardware raid 5 adapters have coprocessors which offload I/O functions, especially with raid 5 parity, from the system CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back