Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI and LVD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAIG2432

Technical User
Jan 23, 2007
GB
Can some one shed some light on what LVD is. If I am reading things correctly it is a SCSI standard. But most people us terms as Ultra 2 or Ultra 3 or U320.

The reason I ask we have a Dell sc1600 server with built in SCSI controller ( I think its a U320). You are not going to beleive this but we found in a store room a Dell Power Vault 122T Tape Loader!!!!! As you can imagine we want to use it. The 122T has 2 SCSI connectors and the spec on dells web site state it has a LVD SCSi connector.

Can someone please throw me a life line on this one. SCSI is something I know very little.

Most newer SCSI adapters are u320 LVD
Basically you main concern to connect this for use is to have a LVD SCSI adapter, with a cable with the correct connector match and a good LVD terminator terminator, which likely goes on the second connector on the tape unit. From experience do not buy a no name terminator. Get an Adaptec terminator for it.

SCSI info

Terminator link

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the links.

I have hear from a friend about buying poor terminators. So to sum up I find a free tape loader but its going to cost me a packets in leads and terminators. LOL. Sounds about right.

Thanks again.

Yes it costs, but from experience, I have used cheap cables and terminators wasting days trying to get SCSI devices working.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back