Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI and IDE HD mixed server

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1utch

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
I've got a server (homebuilt) that was given to me with 4 2.2 gig, hot swap, SCSI drives and an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller. I've installed Win 2k server to one of the SCSI drives and I am now trying to add a 40 gig IDE drive. Whenever I boot the server up, it sees the new IDE drive and tries to boot from that, ignoring the OS on the SCSI drive. I've changed the IDE drive's jumpers around and tried switching the drive to the secondary IDE slot on the MB, trying to trick the beast...but with no luck. Am I missing something here, or is it not possible to mix IDE and SCSI drives together on the same PC. Thanks for anyone's help in adavance.

-Chris Chris

This is possible. Sounds to me like the BIOS setting is looking at IDE drives during the boot sequence. Go into your BIOS and make sure that you primary boot device is the SCSI device.

Comtec17-

Yeah, thought of that...only after struggling for an hour or so, ugh. However, when I go into the BIOS, the only bootable device showing is the C drive, which it generically labels as the IDE drive when I've got it attached.
I'm not sure what it says when I remove the IDE drive, leaving only the SCSI drives available for booting. I'll take a look at it tonight though.
You're right on though. It would seem if I could change the BIOS to look at the SCSI device first, I'd be set. Pass along any other ideas if you have some. I'll update you tomorrow. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back