Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scrsaver.nlm not releasing resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2002
US
Have an issue on my NW6 sp2 server with the scrsaver.nlm. It's loaded from the autoexec.ncf, and will always activate after the server is rebooted, working just fine. However, for some reason it is not activated/console unlocked seemingly after the ArcServe 7 nightly backup. The status shows it's still loaded, but using scrsaver activate won't activate it. If I unload it and reload it, it will work again, although the unload results in module not releasing 1 resource. Interestingly enough, if the next day the same thing happens (console no longer locked), I unload the scrsaver.nlm so I can reload it, I get the message the module did not release 1 resource, then after a short pause (a few seconds), the screen blanks then a Loading..... message appears and the OS is rebooting! Agh!!! [surprise] What's up with that? Anybody having this problem?

I have run across something about AS6.6 and NW 5 and the backup program doing something similar (NW TID 10019075), but have not yet tried that solution. My concern is the module not releasing 1 resource when it gets unloaded that I would also like to fix.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Gromit

We completed a migration from 4.11 to 6.0 SP2 several weeks ago. Went very well for the most part, but I am still working out some of the kinks, one of them being (almost) your exact problem. The only difference is I don't recall a 'resource not released' error, and the other difference is that we don't get a 'grace day'. Everytime I unloaded SCRSAVER.NLM (after ARCserve 7 ran the previous night) the server reloaded the OS. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet.

I did run across a TID from Novell (TID10024396) that states the same problem, and recommends loading the latest SCRSAVER.NLM. I replaced with SCRSAVER in SP2 but it had no affect.

Have you found any solutions, yet?

Actually, I am going to try one thing today. It was suggested I unload ArcServe, then edit the asconfig.ini and under the section [Scheduler], edit the line
"ChangeScreenOnAlert=YES" (which is the default) to NO,
reload ArcServe and see if that helps. Will let you know!

Gromit

Update--the modification "changeonalert" to NO does work for the backup job--in other words, the screen saver is still active/activated after the backup is completed. But, I noticed this morning that when the auto prune/purge feature kicks in, it also deactivates the screen saver, same as the backup job did. I can't find anything to turn this off or find how to disable the auto prune/purge feature. This is really stupid, having to deal with this. What's more, the program does something odd to the scrsaver.nlm so that you can't reactivate it. When I try to unload it and reload, it causes the OS to reload, just like a restart. How much of a bummer is that!? I have the latest NLM, so I don't know what to do next except dump ArcServe for something else.

Anybody have any solutions for this?

Gromit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back